standard banana muffins get a royal upgrade with the addition of saffron. Makes 6-8
- ¾ cup maida / all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- pinch of salt
- 1 sachet Kesari Saffron powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup lukewarm milk
- ¾ cup mashed ripe bananas (around 3 medium)
- For garnish: 8 almond halves, 1 tbsp desiccated coconut Kesari Saffron strands (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 175°C. Line a muffin tray with paper liners or use silicone muffin cups.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, desiccated coconut and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the ghee, sugar and Kesari saffron powder until creamy.
- To this add the milk and mashed bananas and whisk well until combined.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the wet mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture between 6-8 muffin cups.
- Place an almond half over the top and sprinkle desiccated coconut.
- Transfer the tray to the pre-heated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Garnish the muffin with a saffron strand.
- Serve warm.
Variation: ¼ tsp of ground cardamo cup of chopped pistachios