A special kheer that gets a mellow flavour from golden pumpkin, almonds and saffron. Serves 6
- cup whole almonds
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 200 grams grated yellow pumpkin
- 2.5 cups whole milk
- 1 sachet Kesari Saffron powder
- ½ cup sugar
- For garnish: 1 tbsp ghee, 8-10 cashewnut halves, 2-3 tbsp raisins, Saffron strands
- Soak the almonds in boiling water for hour. Remove skins and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat ghee and saute the pumpkin for 3-4 minutes. Add ¼ cup water, cover and cook the pumpkin until done. Allow all the water to evaporate.
- Grind the almonds with ½ cup milk and saffron powder to get a smooth puree
- Grind the cooked pumpkin with ¼ cup milk to get a smooth puree.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, combine the almond puree, pumpkin puree, remaining milk and sugar.
- Bring this to a gentle simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a small pan. Add cashews and raisins. Once cashews are golden brown, transfer it over the kheer. Garnish with saffron strands.
- Serve chilled or warm