Indian shortbread cookie that goes perfectly with a cup of masala chai Makes 30 pieces
- 1.5 cups maida
- 2 tbsp besan
- 1 tbsp chiroti rava
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup ghee
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 sachet Kesari Saffron Powder
- For garnish: 10-12 pistachios, Saffron strands
- Sieve the maida, besan, rava, baking soda and keep aside
- In a bowl, mix together the ghee, sugar and saffron powder until well combined.
- To this add the dry ingredients and gently combine until you get a smooth dough.
- Pinch off 30 portions from this dough. Roll each portion between palms to get a smooth ball
- Flatten this ball slightly and place on a baking sheet. Keep some distance2cm between the cookies as they will expand as they bake.
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the pistachios and press a pinch of chopped nuts over each cookie
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes
- Remove, cool and pack in airtight container. Garnish with a strand of saffron before serving if desired
Variation: Substitute half the maida with wheat flour and use 1-2 tbsp of milk to bind the dough if need be.